Chi Omega's official Facebook post in response to the incident:
UA President Judy Bonner's official email in response to the incident, sent to all faculty, staff, and students:
"As many of you already know, one of our students posted a photo on Snap Chat on Saturday afternoon that included particularly offensive racial language. I immediately asked the Office of Student Conduct to conduct a full investigation and was assured by the national Chi Omega headquarters that they had already begun an investigation of their own. There will be appropriate University consequences once our investigation is completed. These consequences will be in addition to any sanctions Chi Omega's national officers decide to impose.
We are all extremely disappointed when any student uses language that is disrespectful or offensive to any segment of the UA community. We are especially sad that this incident occurred on a day that was an exciting and happy one for the young women who participated in fall recruitment.
Behavior, actions and choices that disparage other students are particularly reprehensible and do not represent the values or meet the expectations of our University community. UA and the members of our Panhellenic sororities took great strides forward on bid day by pledging a diverse group of young women that included 21 African American members. The results of bid day and the dedication of hundreds of students, employees and alumni who worked extremely hard this past year to achieve the important and significant milestones UA reached on bid day cannot and should not be dismissed or minimized.
I want to assure you that The University of Alabama will not allow this incident to interrupt our progress. We will continue to work diligently and with a renewed commitment to make sure that UA is a welcoming and inclusive campus every day of the week.
- Read both articles from the University of Alabama's student paper, The Crimson White (linked above).
- Look at the response posted on Facebook from the Chi Omega sorority, and President Judy Bonner's email to all Alabama students (posted above)
- In a comment below, give your response to this situation:
- Include details from both the email, the Facebook post, and the articles linked above.
- Discuss how technology like social media and the internet have played a role in how this situation developed and how it is now being addressed.
Technology COS alignment:
9.) Practice ethical and legal use of technology systems and digital content.
• Explaining consequences of illegal and unethical use of technology systems and digital content
Examples: cyberbullying, plagiarism
• Interpreting copyright laws and policies with regard to ownership and use of digital content
• Citing sources of digital content using a style manual
Examples: Modern Language Association (MLA), American Psychological Association (APA)